Dear Friends of The Virginia College Fund,
The Virginia College Fund’s staff, directors, and member schools want to let you know that we are thinking of you and your family during this unsettling time of disruption and worry. While we must keep our physical distance in order to care for ourselves and each other, for many of us, this is deepening our appreciation of our connectedness.
Unable to meet with you in person as I usually would, I want to provide this encouraging update on The VCF community and our work so that we can stay connected:
- All of our schools—Averett University, Bluefield College, Eastern Mennonite University, and Ferrum College—quickly adapted and have ensured that their students will successfully complete the 2019-20 school year.
- The resilience and responsive capacity of all four schools is a result of the exemplary leadership of their presidents: Dr. Tiffany Franks (Averett University), David Olive (Bluefield College), Dr. Susan Huxman (Eastern Mennonite University), and Dr. David Johns (Ferrum College) have all met this moment without missing a beat.
- 2020 began as a strong year, positioning The VCF to support our member schools as they plan and prepare to start the 2020-21 school year on a firm footing and to continue to fulfill The VCF’s mission to provide our member institutions the resources to ensure their students have access to an affordable, value-based education that prepares them for success in a global economy.
- Our Board of Directors continue to be engaged:
- helping The VCF match a large project grant for 2020-21 school year
- bringing in several large new grant opportunities
- participating remotely in the new work world
- contributing 100 percent as a board
- On a special note, long time Board of Directors member Frank Blocker passed away in February. Frank, a Norfolk businessman and philanthropist, always gave generously to The VCF. We will miss him greatly and we are grateful for his legacy and generosity.
Until we can visit again, please know we are thinking of all of you in this time of crisis and that we are carrying on the important work with which you have entrusted us. With great thanks and warm thoughts.